If you’re looking to get a new Fitbit and maybe you want to give out your current Fitbit as a gift to someone or even sell it as a used device, the guide below will show you just how to transfer your Fitbit device to someone else without losing any of your fitness data, but before that, let’s take a look at how Fitbit syncs fitness data with your account.
Fitbit keeps track of your fitness data by automatically syncing it with your phone while both devices are paired via Bluetooth.
Your smartphone also regularly uploads your fitness data to your Fitbit account to make sure you don’t lose them if you misplace your device or it gets damaged.
If you’re planning on gifting someone your current Fitbit, then you would have to remove all connections your personal Fitbit account has the watch and link the account to the new one once you get it.
Interestingly, Fitbit has made this extremely easy to do so you’re less likely to encounter any issues while attempting to transfer your Fitbit device to another person.
To transfer your Fitbit to someone else, follow the steps below.
- It is very important to ensure that your recent fitness data doesn’t get missing so you have to manually sync your used Fitbit device with your Fitbit account by launching the Fitbit app on your phone and clicking on “Sync Now”,
- After that, erase the Fitbit device to remove all of your personal data from it. If your Fitbit is an older model and doesn’t have any way to erase your data completely, then skip this step as all your data will be automatically erased from the device once you unlink the device with your account,
- Next, you will need to remove the Fitbit device from your Fitbit account via the Fitbit app or the Fitbit website. To remove the Fitbit device via the mobile app, follow the steps below
- Launch the Fitbit app then tap on the “Today” tab and click on your profile picture
- Tap on the image of the Fitbit device you want to remove and scroll down and tap on remove device (iOS) or tap on the trash icon (on Android)
- Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the device from your account completely.
- The used Fitbit device you want to transfer is now completely detached from your Fitbit account and you can link a new Fitbit device with your account without losing any of your data.
Received A Used Fitbit? Here Is How To Get It Working
Receiving a Fitbit from someone else? Below is a mini-guide on how you can set it up easily.
The first step would be to get the Fitbit app in any of the app stores (depending on the OS of the user – Android, iOS, or Windows), then register and verify your account.
Alternatively, you can sign up for an account on the Fitbit website, but downloading the app is a must because the tracker can’t be set up without connecting it to a smartphone via Bluetooth and the Fitbit app.
After creating an account and signing into the app on your smartphone, make sure your Bluetooth is turned on pair the Fitbit with your phone. Like I mentioned earlier, pairing the tracker with the Fitbit app ensures the tracker can communicate with a smartphone and sync fitness data directly to your Fitbit account.
With this, you have successfully configured the Fitbit device you receive.
Transferring a Fitbit is as easy as originally setting it up. Manually syncing the fitness data with your Fitbit is highly recommended if you don’t want to lose any of it after erasing the tracker and detaching it from your Fitbit account.
That will be it for this article. If you had an issue with figuring out how to transfer your Fitbit tracker to someone else without losing any of your fitness data or even setting up a used Fitbit you received from someone else, I hope you found this guide helpful.